Ah, December. Time for eggnog, tinsel, mistletoe and trees being put
inside people’s homes. Only, just not the guy over the road. He might be a
Jehovah Witness, especially since he hasn’t appeared to celebrate any other
holiday. He might be, but I’ve never seen him going into or coming out of the
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah Witnesses. Eyebrow raising to say the least.
So what do we know about him and his wife so far? They’re new to the
street, they like bad music and don’t celebrate Christmas. Fine, fair enough.
Not everyone celebrates Christmas. They could also be anti-commercialists or
atheists.
So while everyone else is in the Christmas spirit, giving each other
Christmas cards or candy canes, this guy was sitting it out miserably, with his
wife. We all walk down the street singing Christmas songs like Fairytale of New
York, All I Want for Christmas is You, White Christmas and Winter Wonderland,
this guy’s out making snow. Only it’s not real snow, or ice and it’s the flakes
of paint falling to the ground as he scrapes the white paint off his garage
door. And he’s being pretty miserable about it.
Plenty of cheer to go around and we even try to spread it to him… but
he’s having none of it. He’d rather be alone with his wife and horrible Yorkie
dog. So not really alone, but not joining in the festivities either.
When Christmas Day does arrive and the kids are out
playing with their presents, he goes out and watches them. Maybe
he’s just happy that everyone else is happy. Maybe. But if he
wasn’t happy earlier in the month, what’s so special about the 25th?
Maybe he’s Catholic. Maybe, but I’ve never seen him at Mass.
Roll around New Year’s Eve/Day when all the neighbours are outside
celebrating and drinking out in the street and all the lights are on, his were
out. That could also go with the Jehovah Witness theory. Or maybe he just hates
New Year. I know I do after the wicked hangover I had-but then I did drink
beer, whiskey, vodka, champagne and took shots that night and morning. All are
perfectly plausible explanations.
Of course another one is that he just doesn’t like us, his neighbours.
Maybe he was born without the ability to be happy. Several of my neighbors have this devastating condition. I've blogged about it, and I find myself getting more crabby, maybe it's the water?
ReplyDelete